Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I No Longer Hear A Beating Heart..

 Before Jason got his LVAD, I used to love to listen to his heart. I would pray the whole time I was listening, that somehow It would heal itself.  Of course his heart didn't sound anything like mine, the rhythm was all over the place because of his irregular heartbeat.

Jason and I were lying in bed one night, about 4 days after he was released from the hospital. I GENTLY laid my head near his heart (off to the side) and I couldn't believe what I heard. I hear this loud buzzing sound! It was the motor within the LVAD. I looked at Jason and said " Can you hear that?" Of course he said no. I remember I kept listening and listening, I was just amazed. Knowing that the sound I hear is the reason Jason is here with me, that sound is keeping him alive.

I listened hard, but I could never hear his heat beat.  I knew that  the next heart I will hear within his chest will be a heart from a donor. As crazy as It was, it made me sad. I started wishing I would've known that I wasn't going to hear it again , because I would've like to hear Jason's own heart beat just one more time.

                There is a picture of an LVAD below.
 The motor is located within the blood pump.



Figure 1
External View of the LVAD
Figure 2
Internal View Of The Motor

No comments:

Post a Comment