Thursday, February 6, 2014

Did You Choose The Right Supplemental Insurance?

This is something that I have been meaning to address. Not only to our MCV/VCU Friends, but to all the LVAD warriors. When Jason became edible for Medicare, of course we had to get a supplemental insurance, which we choose to go with Humana. When I called Medicare I told them what Hospital Jason went to, who his doctor was and a list of his medications. By that, they set me up on Humana HMO.
 I thought everything was taken care of and we received all the paperwork and everything from Humana.It wasn't long though the woman from MCV was calling me telling me there was a problem. MCV/VCU does NOT taken Humana HMO. They let me know that Jason would not receive a heart if one came in for him while he was on this plan.

As you can imagine, I was furious that the so called “professionals” at Medicare and the one that checked the information at Humana let this slip by. Long story short I switch him over to a PPO. (After the Humana rep came to our house) Thankfully Humana felt so bad for the mistake they said it would be covered if he did get the call before January when the PPO was to be active.

So lesson learn, BEFORE making any decision check with your hospital. Don’t leave it up to Medicare or Humana. Also ask that a rep come to your house. Everything is so much easier when it’s right there in black and white.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!! All too often we have to be our own advocates. I've been burned a few times by those "Well, it should or is "probably" covered. Now I hound people until I have a specific answer to a specific question. We have to make sure that every "I" is dotted and every "T" is crossed. Glad you got it straightened out!

    ReplyDelete